Thursday, April 21, 2011

Dying To Self - Part III

Recently, in an attempt to die to self,  I have begun each morning by quoting Galatians 2:20.  "I have been crucified with Christ.  It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me.  And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."  It's a verse that I memorized many years ago.  It is a verse that I am trying to make a reality.

I must say that, thus far, my track record of dying to self is rather abysmal.  A case in point is a situation that occurred a month ago.  I was talking to someone from our church on a Monday morning who was going on and on about how great this church was that they attended over the weekend (while they were visiting family).  It was a 'happening' church.  The longer they talked, the more upset I got.  When they were finished I was ticked.  I suppose the reason why I felt this way is that I was terribly convicted that our church was not a 'happening' church - and it should be, I want it to be, God wants it to be.  Needless to say the rest of the day I brooded over this perceived offense.

Later that night, as I was taking a shower, God spoke to me.  "What did you pray for this morning?"  I stopped and thought for a moment.  I prayed to die to self.  Ouch!  I had prayed to die to self and not more than two hours later I had a perfect opportunity to do so - and failed!  The worst part of it is - that I went the whole day without seeing this!

Thank you, God, for Your gentle rebuke.  Don't give up on me.  And help me not to give up on dying to myself.  I am going to get this right - even if it kills me!

No comments:

Post a Comment