Wednesday, July 25, 2012

My Dad And The Lawn

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ecclesiastes+9:10&version=NIV1984

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Col%203:23-24&version=NIV

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Col%203:17&version=NIV

We grew up in a low-income housing project back in Niagara Falls, New York.  As a result of this, we had what I call was a ‘city’ lawn.  It’s the kind of lawn that most houses in the city have - small.  To show how small it was, during summer my father would mow both the front and back lawns in about 20 minutes.  With a rotary push mower.  Enough said.

About the time I became a teenager I wanted to mow lawns.  There was this elderly neighbor who needed his lawn cut.  And he was willing to pay someone to do it.  Not only was the prospect of getting some unheard-of cash in my happy little hands very exciting, so was getting to use the lawnmower.  It was sharp.  It could hurt someone.  The result?  No children allowed.  So getting to use the lawnmower was a kind of rite of passage for me.

Well, my dad, being the thorough kind of guy he was, didn’t just turn me loose with the lawnmower.  Oh, no.  He had to instruct me on how to operate it.  First, there was the proper stance so that you could push it.  Then there was the admonition about being careful not to hit any rocks, sticks or other objects that might dull the blade.  Finally, there was the half-cut method.  This meant that you only mowed half the width of the lawnmower.  The idea being that when you came back the opposite way, you mowed the same patch of grass from the opposite direction.  This ensured that you cut the lawn thoroughly.  That there would be no isolated patches of uncut lawn leftover from trying to cut too much with each pass.  Unfortunately, it also meant basically cutting the lawn twice.

After the newness of mowing the lawn wore off (it always does, and rather quickly) I no longer appreciated my dad’s method of cutting the grass.  So I started cheating.  Taking 3/4's cuts.  Sometimes even whole-width cuts.  Even more than whole-width cuts!  Of course, the inevitable happened.  The result was isolated patches of uncut grass.  Grass that was an eye-sore compared to the rest of the lawn.  Grass that I needed to go back and cut.

Now I am much older.  And wiser.  I still mow the lawn.  But not with a rotary mower!  I use a gas, self-propelled walk-behind mower.  It takes me about 90 minutes to mow my entire lawn.  I can’t say that I really enjoy it.  (I sort of envy my dad’s ‘city’-sized lawn).  But my large lawn gives me a little space from my neighbors.  And it’s great for the grandkids.  Funny thing is, as much as I dislike mowing the lawn, I find myself cutting it half the width of the mower!  Why, I don’t know.  Because I can cut the whole width of the mower if I want to.  There’s nothing preventing me from doing that.  So, why do I mow my lawn dad’s way?

I suppose it’s because I see the logic behind what my dad was teaching me way back then.  He wasn’t teaching me how to mow the lawn so much as he was teaching me how to do the job right.  The first time.  Because my reputation was on the line.  Because lifelong habits were being formed.  Habits that would serve me well later in life.  Habits that, if they were bad, would be difficult to break.

I find that our Heavenly Father often does the same thing with us.  He teaches us certain methods.  He instructs us in certain ways.  Methods and ways that we often don’t understand.  Methods and ways that we often rebel against.  And resist.  Such as the way to greatness is through servanthood.  The way to glory is humility.  The way to strength is weakness.  Funny thing is, that there are reasons why God teaches us the methods & ways that He does.  They are for our benefit.  They help form our character.  Character that will pay rich dividends throughout our lives.  Character that will positively impact the lives of others.

Of course, when I taught my sons how to mow the lawn, I taught them the half-cut method.  I’m not sure that they appreciated it.  (Most teens don't.)  And if I get a chance to teach my grandchildren how to mow the lawn, you can be sure that I am going to teach them the half-cut method as well.  Why?  Because I’m not just teaching them how to mow the lawn.  Like dad, I’m teaching them good habits.  Habits that will have a positive impact on them the rest of their lives.

Lord, I thank you for a father who was wise.  A man who taught me life lessons at an early age.  I also thank you for the life lessons that You are teaching me.  May I pay attention to them.  Implement them.  And be blessed by them.  In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment